After years of evolution, testing, and iteration, the design team at Kamanu Composites came up with the Pueo. It's round hull, elongated rocker profile, plumb bow, and reserve buoyancy work together to create inarguably the best all-around canoe in existence. While other canoes may be faster in the flat, or better on a big downwind day, nothing can compete with the Pueo in all conditions. But, we don't expect you to listen to us. Do your own research, check race results, ask your friends, and, most importantly, call us to get on the demo.
A Brief History
The Pueo was orginally launched in 2008. After 4 successful seasons and two Moloka'i Solo victories, it was rebuilt from the ground up and re-released in early 2013. All the best features were kept, and some subtle new features were added. Changes include a forward shifted cockpit, slightly increased reserve volume, smoother rocker, a streamlined hull, higher footwell rails, front bungees, a more balanced feel, and an entirely re-designed ama. We believe it's the highest quality product we've ever built.
The design of the Pueo is unique in that it's incredibly versatile. It's efficient in flat water, catches bumps on small to medium days and does well in the roughest conditions anyone paddles in. It's efficient for a suprising range of people from 100 lbs to 250 lbs and from 5 feet tall to 6'6". It almost seems impossible, but it's a design that works for just about anyone in just about any conditions.
- Standard: $4400, 23 lbs
- The deck is a 3.9oz carbon on the outside, a 1/8" foam core, and a 4.8oz carbon on the inside. The hull is two layers of 4.0oz S glass, a 1/8" foam core, and a 4.8oz carbon on the inside. It is our heaviest lay-up, so it is recommended for customers where weight is not a concern.
- Ultralight: $4600, 22 lbs
- The deck is a 3.9oz carbon on the outside, a 1/8" foam core, and a 3.9oz carbon on the inside. The hull is two layers of 4.0oz S glass, a 1/8" foam core, and a 3.9 oz carbon on the inside. It's lighter than the standard, but offers the same impact resistance and basically the same overall strength. Recommended for customers where weight is a concern, but so is durability.
- Double Carbon: $4700, 20.5 lbs
- The hull and deck have a 3.9oz carbon on the outside, a 1/8" foam core, and a 3.9oz carbon on the inside. With only one layer of carbon on the outside of the hull, the canoe will dent and possibly fracture easier with impact. It is our lightest lay-up, but also the most fragile. So it is recommended for customers who consider weight a major factor.
Additional costs apply for shipping, tax, and custom spray jobs.
Weights are approximate and vary.
How to Buy
There are two ways to purchase a Pueo:
- Off-the-shelf canoes are available for purchase for anyone around the world. A current listing of available canoes is continuously updated at www.kamanucomposites.com/available*. Canoes start at $4400 and vary by lay-up and spray job.
- Custom canoes built for you are available by a waitlist. Custom canoes start at $4500 and vary by lay-up and spray job. To place an order, go to store.kamanucomposites.com. A $1000 deposit must be made at the time of order.